Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Meet Horse

Horse is a 4 yr old gelding, broke to ride by me, and unridden for a long time. But I'm starting at the end.

I bought Horse three years ago. He was the meanest, nastiest stud colt I'd ever had the mis-pleasure of handling. He'd stalk you down, his head low and snake like, his eyes saying "I'm gonna get you." If you couldn't get through the fence fast enough, he would strike, bite, and do his darnedest to use your body as a trampoline. If you did get through the fence, he'd try to come over the top at you. It was three months before I could move him around the round pen without him moving me.

I started riding him lightly his two year old year. I rode him more his three year old year. He was showing a lot of promise. He became light and supple. And then, I got injured. Over the course of a year, I got several concussions, got kicked in the knee twice, kicked in my back, tore everything in one ankle, and injured my hip. Not only was I kept out of the saddle, I realized I needed a smaller saddle, and I'm still a little afraid to get back on. I'm not afraid to ride but I am afraid to be as aggressive as I know I need to be.

I still don't have a saddle. But I am visiting Horse and hanging out with him in his pasture. He is now the friendliest, sweetest horse that will follow you everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment